Our VISION: All animals be well cared for and treated with respect, and that an enlightened ethic of animal care be fostered.
Our PURPOSE: The Animal Welfare Foundation of Canada (AWFC) aims to achieve measurable positive change in improving the lives of animals in Canada, through funding innovative educational, research and public outreach initiatives.
Our MISSION: Since 1965, the AWFC has successfully managed donated funds to continually support its vision that all animals be well cared for and treated with respect.
To achieve this, the AWFC encourages people to place a priority on the physical, psychological, and behavioural needs of all animals used in research, education, and in agriculture, as well as companion animals and wildlife. In other words, the AWFC seeks to change the way that Canadians think about using and caring for animals. Do we consider first what animals need for a life worth living before we use them to improve our lives?
The AWFC will:
- Promote initiatives that improve the welfare of animals in Canada.
- Promote initiatives that have a national impact on the welfare of animals in Canada.
- Strategically allocate the AWFC’s resources to fund projects that can be copied and used by other organizations to improve welfare in their regions.
- Preferentially support activities that are difficult to fund, or that are not typically funded by other granting agencies.
- Preferentially support activities that enhance the visibility and long term viability of the AWFC.
The AWFC will:
- Work collaboratively with animal welfare organizations that share our Vision.
- Use sound organizational governance principles, including prudent management of finances and timely succession planning of Board members.
- Form a Board composed of animal welfare professionals from across Canada.
Adopted by the Board of Directors April 25, 2012
More About the AWFC